For further research, please see the links below. Links have been shortened for your convenience. Issue 1: Charter Schools National Alliance for Public Charter Schools Center for Media and Democracy Findings National Center for Education Statistics National Charter School Resource Center NPR – What Should Parents Know About Charter Schools? Issue 2: Pipeline About the Pipeline from Energy Transfer Partners Protesting the Pipeline (Inside Energy) Time Magazine Article 5 Things to Know About the Pipeline NPR – Pipeline Update for 2017 Top 3 Pipeline Pros & Cons (procon.org)
Help students develop their critical-thinking skills on legislative issues with these essay questions. Can be used for classroom discussion, essay writing, homework, debate, etc. Issue 1: Charter Schools
- Do you think funding charter schools with tax dollars hurts traditional public schools? Why or why not?
- Proponents of charter schools believe they encourage school competition and innovation. Do you agree or disagree?
- What are the arguments for and against charter schools? Where do you stand on the issue?
- Compare the Democrat and Republican congressional quotes for Issue 1 (charter schools). Whose opinion more closely matches your own view?
- Please review the “Federal Role of Government in Education” infographic and describe what makes charter schools different than traditional public schools?
Issue 2: Pipeline
- Using the “Top 3 Pipeline Pros & Cons” link above, summarize the arguments of those for and against the pipeline. Which side do you agree with?
- Did the Army Corps of Engineers make the right decision to halt production of the Pipeline? Why or why not?
- What might be a solution to the problem that would satisfy both sides?
- Which should come first – our country’s environment or the ability to produce our own energy?
- Why do you think the Dakota Access Pipeline protests have drawn national media attention?